Poison & Prevention Information By Age : Infants
Poison Prevention Tips
- Be prepared.
- Put the poison control number (1-800-222-1222, U.S. only) in, on or near your phone.
- Save webPOISONCONTROL® as a browser favorite (webPOISONCONTROL.org).
- Install a carbon monoxide alarm in every sleeping area of your home.
- Poison proof every home where your child spends time.
- Lock medicines and household products out of your child’s reach, even between doses.
- Use child-resistant packaging. Replace caps securely.
- Store household products in a different place from food and medicine.
- Keep purses out of your child’s reach.
- Use medicines safely.
- Read the label before taking or giving medicine. Follow instructions exactly.
- Use the correct dosing syringe or cup, NOT a household spoon.
- Ask your child’s pediatrician before giving any herbal medicine or supplement.
- These especially hazardous household products must always be kept out of a child’s reach. Buy small quantities only. Discard unneeded extras safely.
- windshield washer solutions
- drain cleaners
- toilet bowl cleaners
- hydrocarbons (gasoline, oils, paint thinners)
- Keep button batteries out of reach of children. Secure the battery compartment on remote controls, key fobs, cameras, watches, flameless candles, and every battery-powered product.
Poisoned? Get Expert Help.
Don't guess what you should do. Get accurate Poison Control answers online or by phone. Both are free and confidential.
or CALL 1-800-222-1222
Get the App!Download the free
Subscribe to The Poison Post®
The Poison Post® is a free, quarterly e-newsletter delivering poison prevention tips right to your inbox!
Common and dangerous poisons
Know your poisons! Which are common? Which are the most dangerous? Keep your child safe.
Learn the Poison Prevention Jingles
Learn the Poison Help jingle in English or Spanish. Use these jingles to teach the Poison Control number: 1-800-222-1222. Available for download.
Help us save lives! Donate now so we can continue to provide 24/7 expert help for poison emergencies. Your donation to our 501(c)(3) charitable organization will keep the phone lines open and the app online.
Connect with us
on social media!
Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter for news, updates, and events!