Poison Prevention, Toddler
Poison Prevention Tips
- Be prepared.
- Put the poison control number (1-800-222-1222, U.S. only) in, on or near your phone.
- Save webPOISONCONTROL® as a browser favorite (webPOISONCONTROL.org).
- Install a carbon monoxide alarm in every sleeping area of your home.
- Poison proof every home where your child spends time.
- Lock household products and medicines out of your child’s reach.
- Use child-resistant packaging. Replace caps securely.
- Store household products in a different place from food and medicine.
- Keep purses out of your child's reach.
- Use medicines safely.
- Read the label before taking or giving medicine. Follow instructions exactly.
- Use the correct dosing syringe or cup, NOT a household spoon.
- Ask your child’s pediatrician before giving any herbal medicine or supplement.
- Read this report about medicine and child safety from Safe Kids Worldwide
- These especially hazardous household products must always be kept out of a child's reach. Buy small quantities only. Discard unneeded extras safely.
- windshield washer solutions
- drain cleaners
- toilet bowl cleaners
- hydrocarbons (gasoline, oils, paint thinners)
- Keep button batteries out of reach of children. Secure the battery compartment on remote controls, key fobs, cameras, watches, flameless candles, and every battery-powered product. Why? Batteries lodged in the esophagus can burn a hole in just 2 hours, causing death or damage that will require feeding tubes, breathing tubes, and extensive surgical repair.
Safe Kids produced an interactive graphic to show you some issues parents may miss when trying to make their house safer for young children. Check it out! (once the interactive graphic loads, click your mouse and hold it down to rotate 360°). Can you spot the risks in this video, too? There are 11. See if you can find all of them.
Poisoned? Get Expert Help.
Don't guess what you should do. Get accurate Poison Control answers online or by phone. Both are free and confidential.
or CALL 1-800-222-1222
Spike: A preschool poison prevention program
Connect with us
on social media!
Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter for news, updates, and events!
Subscribe to The Poison Post®
The Poison Post® is a free, quarterly e-newsletter delivering poison prevention tips right to your inbox!
Poster Keep Her Safe
Never Assume Your Child Cannot Open A Pill Bottle
Help us save lives! Donate now so we can continue to provide 24/7 expert help for poison emergencies. Your donation to our 501(c)(3) charitable organization will keep the phone lines open and the app online.
Learn the Poison Prevention Jingles
Learn the Poison Help jingle in English or Spanish. Use these jingles to teach the Poison Control number: 1-800-222-1222. Available for download.