Poison Prevention, Seniors
Poison Prevention Tips
- Be prepared.
- Put the poison control number (1-800-222-1222, U.S. only) in, on or near your phone.
- Save webPOISONCONTROL® as a browser favorite (webPOISONCONTROL.org).
- Install a carbon monoxide alarm in every sleeping area of your home. Keep appliances, furnaces, fireplaces and wood-burning stoves in good repair.
- Store medicines and products in their original containers.
- Use child-resistant packaging, especially if young children are ever around. Replace caps securely. Why?
- Of children treated in an ER for medicine poisoning, 38% got into a grandparent's medicine.
- More grandparents identified electrical outlets than medicine as a top safety issue, but 36 times more children go to the ER for medicine poisoning. Ouch!
- Store household products in a different place from food and medicine.
- Use medicines safely.
- Turn on the lights, put on glasses, and read the label before taking or giving medicine. Follow instructions exactly.
- Don't take someone else's medicine.
- Use household products as directed on the label. Mixing products can release dangerous gases.
- Have grandchildren? Check out the poison prevention tips for the ages of your grandchildren.
Poisoned? Get Expert Help.
Don't guess what you should do. Get accurate Poison Control answers online or by phone. Both are free and confidential.
or CALL 1-800-222-1222
Subscribe to The Poison Post®
The Poison Post® is a free, quarterly
e-newsletter delivering poison prevention tips right to your inbox!
Connect with us
on social media!
Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter for news, updates, and events!
Learn the Poison Prevention Jingles
Learn the Poison Help jingle in English or Spanish. Use these jingles to teach the Poison Control number: 1-800-222-1222. Available for download.
Help us save lives! Donate now so we can continue to provide 24/7 expert help for poison emergencies. Your donation to our 501(c)(3) charitable organization will keep the phone lines open and the app online.