Christmas and Winter Holidays
Poison Prevention Tips
- Keep button batteries out of reach of children. Secure the battery compartment on remote controls, key fobs, cameras, watches, flameless candles, and every battery-powered product. Batteries lodged in the esophagus can burn a hole in just 2 hours, causing death or damage that will require extensive surgical repair and long term use of feeding and breathing tubes.
- Use child-resistant packaging, especially if young children are ever around. Replace caps securely. Of children treated in an ER for medicine poisoning, 38% got into a grandparent’s medicine. More grandparents identified electrical outlets than medicine as a top safety issue, but 36 times more children go to the ER for medicine poisoning!
- Decorate with nonpoisonous plants and place poisonous plants well out of children’s reach. Avoid holly and mistletoe berries.
- Have children or grandchildren? Check out the poison prevention tips for the relevant ages.
- Assign someone to keep an eye on each child during parties, dinners, and get-togethers.
- Keep the alcoholic drinks away from children! Alcohol causes a child’s blood sugar to drop, leading to seizures, coma and even death. Clean up drinks and cigarette butts right after the party; don’t leave them for the kids to find the next morning.
- Mind the medicines when you travel or have visitors in your home. Provide visitors with a safe place to put their medicines, purses, and suitcases.
Poisoned? Get Expert Help.
Don't guess what you should do. Get accurate Poison Control answers online or by phone. Both are free and confidential.
or CALL 1-800-222-1222
Get the App!Download the free
Subscribe to The Poison Post®
The Poison Post® is a free, quarterly
e-newsletter delivering poison prevention tips right to your inbox!
Connect with us
on social media!
Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter for news, updates, and events!
Learn the Poison Prevention Jingles
Learn the Poison Help jingle in English or Spanish. Use these jingles to teach the Poison Control number: 1-800-222-1222. Available for download.
Help us save lives! Donate now so we can continue to provide 24/7 expert help for poison emergencies. Your donation to our 501(c)(3) charitable organization will keep the phone lines open and the app online.