Poison & Prevention Information By Season : Winter
Poison Prevention Tips
- Be prepared.
- Put the poison control number (1-800-222-1222, U.S. only) in, on or near your phone.
- Save webPOISONCONTROL® as a browser favorite (webPOISONCONTROL.org).
- Prevent carbon monoxide poisoning.
- Install a battery-operated carbon monoxide alarm in every sleeping area of your home.
- Keep appliances, furnaces, fireplaces and wood-burning stoves in good repair.
- Use generators safely.
- Never operate a generator in an enclosed or semi-enclosed space such as a basement, garage, carport, barn or enclosed porch.
- Place generators away from doors and windows. Direct the exhaust away from the house so that carbon monoxide won’t enter the house.
- Do not use charcoal or gas grills, stoves, gas ovens, camp stoves or hibachis to heat your home (or your tent or camper).
- Recognize the early symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning: flu-like symptoms such as headache, nausea, vomiting, dizziness, and lightheadedness. Often many people and even pets get sick at about the same time. If symptoms develop, leave the area and get medical attention right away.
- Store medicines and products in their original containers.
- Antifreeze (for cars) tastes sweet, but even a little can cause kidney damage or death. Keep it away from children and pets.
- Feverish? Use a digital thermometer. Glass mercury thermometers may break in a child’s mouth. Spilled mercury requires special cleanup to avoid contaminating your home.
Poisoned? Get Expert Help.
Don't guess what you should do. Get accurate Poison Control answers online or by phone. Both are free and confidential.
or CALL 1-800-222-1222
Get the App!Download the free
Connect with us
on social media!
Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter for news, updates, and events!
Subscribe to The Poison Post®
The Poison Post® is a free, quarterly e-newsletter delivering poison prevention tips right to your inbox!
Learn the Poison Prevention Jingles
Learn the Poison Help jingle in English or Spanish. Use these jingles to teach the Poison Control number: 1-800-222-1222. Available for download.
Help us save lives! Donate now so we can continue to provide 24/7 expert help for poison emergencies. Your donation to our 501(c)(3) charitable organization will keep the phone lines open and the app online.