Poison Prevention Tips
- Store medicines and products in their original containers.
- Lock medicines and household products where children cannot see or reach them.
- Use child-resistant packaging. Replace the caps tightly.
- Store household products in a different place from food and medicine.
- Keep purses and briefcases out of children’s reach.
Prevent Poisoning from Medicines:
- Read the label before taking or giving medicine.
- Use medicine only as directed by your doctor or the label.
- Call medicine by its proper name, not "candy".
- Take medicine in a place where children cannot watch, because children learn by imitating adults.
Prevent Poisoning from Products and Plants:
- Use household products according to label directions. Mixing household products can cause dangerous gases
- Keep house plants out of children’s reach. Even if the
plants are not poisonous, they might cause choking.
Prevent Carbon Monoxide Poisoning:
- Keep appliances, furnaces, fireplaces, and wood-burning stoves in good repair.
- Install a carbon monoxide alarm.
General Poison Prevention Tips:
- When answering the phone or the door, take open products (or your children!) with you.
- Put the poison center number on or near your phone.
- Be sure that every home where your child spends time is poison-proofed.
Prevenir Envenenamientos e Intoxicaciones (Poison Prevention Tips in
Poison Prevention Tips for Your Pets